Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Surgery

When I arrived in Burlington on Saturday evening I was examined, x-rayed and then went to the operating room for some preliminary work. The dislocation of my left wrist was reduced, a fractured bone chip set, and the arm put in plaster to just above the elbow. A rod was also inserted through my right leg just below the knee. This protruded a few inches either side and I assume was to help hold/align the femur later. Quite gruesome looking. When I came to I was in the formerly orthopedic ward and managed to sleep for periods of high-medication.

Leslie arrived on Sunday (day 1) morning with tales of who was about at the Mountainfest slide show on Saturday night. I had more x-rays, CAT scans and examinations, bit "nil by mouth" as they say in England. Later I was put under again so that my femur could be pinned. When I came to I was in the orthopedic ward and was told that all had gone well. The rod through my lower leg had vanished.

No comments: