Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Life in Burlington

I stayed in Burlington through Friday (day 6). Leslie provided invaluable support by spending all of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday with me, acting a press agent, and as my advocate. I was somewhat surprised to hear of a report in the Ithaca Times, apparently from the AP wire service. Flowers and email messages started to arrive almost before I was out of the OR (thanks to all, and many thank to the volunteers running the email printing and delivery service at Fletcher Allen in Burlington.

On Tuesday I received 2 units of blood to help increase my low (<20) hematocrit level and that had a marked effect on how I felt and apparently on my appearance too. Much of Wednesday and Thursday were spent dicussing what would happen next; both with physicians and the case manager in Burlington (who wrestled with my insurance company), and with Carol, Elly and Naomi in Ithaca who helped advise me (thanks!!).

Milestones over this period included being able to pee for myself, being helped to stand up on my good leg, and later doing it without my vision blurring. Tried the TV at one point and quickly decided that TV-free is the way I want to continue living, what rubbish!

No comments: