Monday, January 22, 2007

So, this is how it went...

I met up with Leslie on friday night at "The Hut" in the Adirondacks, after an intense couple of days meeting in NYC for the OAI-ORE technical committee. We got a late start but were finally on the hike in to Pitchoff North around 10am on Saturday morning (let us call this Day0). We first checked out Central Pillar, which was overrun with climbers, and then started our way hiking along the foot of the cliff. On the trail is normally covered with several feet of snow I mis-stepped just below Tendonitis. To my surprise and horror, I didn't just fall over but started accelerating down the icy gulley. As I neared a big boulder it was obvious that pain lay ahead of me. I don't recall the details of my trajectory from then but suffice it to say that I was bounced a couple of times after hitting the boulder and came to rest in a crumpled heap with my right leg in an odd position. Ouch.

Apparently, up above there was immediate recognition that "oh, he's in a bad way". Leslie and other started down to help me as I complained and suggested my leg was broken. There was a physician Olga and several WFRs amoung the numerous climbers present. I was carefully poked, prodded, and rearranged with the conclusion that I had a broken femur and/or hip, a dislocated wrist and possible spinal issues. With some drugs and many down jackets I was made modetately comfortable as others went for help.

Several batches of Lake Placid Search and Rescue arrived and started procedures to immobilize my neck, transfer me to a backboard and finally tie me in to a litter. As soon as I was in the litter, various of the climbing community vocally argued to get me out asap. A belay was set and I was passed hand-over-hand by the climbers for about 200 feet down the gulley. From there the SAR team took me over the lake and then out on a ATV trailer. After then my recollections get more confused as the mix of drugs was increased. I was first taken to Lake Placid hostital with the intention of helicopter to Burlington. The weather precluded the helicopter so I was moved to Saranac Lake hospital before finally getting an ambulance to Burlington, arriving around 9pm.

No comments: